President Trump, MAGA Rally, Elko, Nevada

After attending a 2012 rally in Reno, Nevada for Mitt Romney, I promised myself that I’d never attend or even photograph a political event ever again. That’s how disgusted I was with Romney after he’d tossed the last debated to then-President Obama.

Well, I broke that promise to myself today. This is my favorite picture of the President from the event.

Icicles and Sunshine

Following a couple of night and days of cold, in this case below 10-degrees, it has been pleasant to feel some warmth on my exposed skin. Though there were still some high clouds, the sun managed to filter down giving the landscape of our backyard a slight glow.


Grabbing my camera, I snapped a couple of pictures of what had once been a pristine five-inch layer of snow. But now, the dogs were dashing about enjoying the change of weather.

At least in the snow – you are able to figure out where and where not to step.


Our neighbor’s have a beautiful plant that has volunteered itself to our yard by growing underneath the fence line. And though I’ve been told the name of the plant at least three times, I can never remember it when called upon.

Its orange-red buds remain while the rest of the plant has gone bare of leaves. These same buds look brilliant under a thick blanket of snow and even more brilliant with a wisp of sunshine reflecting off of them.


Some even have icicles hanging from them.


Looking at other plants in our yard, it was hard not to notice the ice that had frozen around the rose bushes, encasing each branch in a massive glazed chunk.


Furthermore, the iron workings that surround my wife’s rose garden was also sheathed in a crystalline coating of once thawed-now frozen snow.


By nightfall, rain clouds replaced the high clouds and the warmth had evaporated into the darkness. In it’s place came a heavy drizzle, which followed shortly by winds and an eight-hour long shower.

This is the perfect recipe for a flood — for which the entirety of Northeastern Nevada is now assembling against. I’m hoping it will be a flood like the one in 1986 – not 1997 and 2005.

The Del Norte County Courthouse Fire

Del Norte County’s governmental business came to an abrupt halt during the early morning hours of January 18th, 1948, when fire broke out in Del Norte Court House. The fire began at about 5:45 a.m. “in or near” the Office of the Superintendent of Schools.

One of the first spectators on scene was a woman identified as “Mrs. Marian Cutler,” who ran to the rear of the building. She saw no flames outside, but “a furious fire … in the back of the building and roaring up into the second floor.”

Walter Rinemer, also noticed that “the hottest and worst” of the fire was burning jus’ inside a back hall. Fire Chief Bill Marshall thought the blaze “probably” started in or near the office of the school superintendent.

The city and county had already set an election for April and June, respectively. Scrambling quickly, then-County Clerk Emma Cooper alerted voters that they would all have to re-register or they could not take part.

Crescent City voters had until March 4 to register for the city’s April 13 elections. Residents of the county had longer, until April 22 for the June primary election.

In addition, city candidates had to file their nomination papers.

The old wooden building, constructed in 1879, spread quickly. Not much was left for future generations.

City councilors also had a sewer survey proposed when plans went up in smoke. One of the most highly valued losses was a law library worth up to $40,000.

“It was one of the finest small law libraries in any county anywhere,” said Judge Sam Finley.

The building, which cost $18,000 to build, carried $32,000 insurance — $20,000 on the structure. The law library was insured for $6,000 and the building’s contents were insured for $6,000.

Other losses included a surveyor’s report and maps for a new county road system, records of cases under probate, and grand jury testimony. Teachers’ paychecks were lost, as were records of cases pending before San Francisco Superior Court and the District Court of Appeals.

None of the records were insured.

Pack Mules Leaving Crescent City

At one point, Crescent City was the center for supplies for the inland mines. Pack trains were commonplace, with some consisting of 200 animals at once. They generally carried two and a half tons of bacon, flour, whiskey, sugar, coffee, saleratus (a precursor to baking soda,) matches, whale oil, lard, salt, fry pans and pans, and various tools and hardware, making life possible in the remote camps, included Altaville, Sailor Diggings and Althouse.

From the beginning, Crescent City’s recognized destiny was to supply the mining camps of Southern Oregon and what is now Siskiyou and Del Norte counties, making Crescent City the most important port between San Francisco and the Columbia River in the 1850s. Pack trains continued to supply the camps and the miners of the middle Klamath and eastern Del Norte County for many years by means of the trail which went over Howland Hill, east of Crescent City, crossing Mill Creek, and down the ridge south of that area.