After going through every box in storage, I finally found it. This was one of my favorites that my mom used to make around Thanksgiving. I can taste it now…
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup sugar
½ cup all-purpose flour
Zest of half a lemon
Cinnamon (enough to cover top of pie)
- Place the milk, sugar and the flour in a saucepan. Whisk together and cook over medium heat. Add the lemon zest and stir until the mixture thickens to a cream consistency.
- Turn off the heat, place the mixture in a large bowl and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- Mix lightly the yolks with a fork, and then stir in the lukewarm milk, sugar flour mixture.
- Gently fold in with a spatula the whipped egg whites.
- Pour the mixture in a deep dish pie plate; sprinkle the top with cinnamon, enough to cover completely.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the top is well puffed and firm, even top may be cracked in a couple of places.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool to room temperature and serve.